The Foundation aims to provide its volunteers with appropriate training and support to ensure that they are well prepared to carry out their duties confidently, effectively and efficiently.
Examples of training and support offered:
- All trail maintenance volunteers are required to attend a one-day field based Volunteer Trail Maintenance Workshop within several months of being appointed. This practical, skills-based training will cover all aspects relating to trail maintenance standards, techniques and occupational health and safety. Trail maintenance workshops are facilitated by the Department of Parks and Wildlife and often occur in rural towns close to trail maintenance volunteers. Cost: free
- Ride Guide Course for teachers, those in the outdoor education field and experienced riders who want to lead groups on the Munda Biddi Trail. Focusing on ride guiding, leadership, group management and emergency response planning, this course will provide you with the information you need to know when leading groups on an off-road cycling adventure. Completing this will also give you opportunities to help support the Munda Biddi Events Program and to encourage more people to get active in a safe, fun and supportive environment.
- Bike Mechanics Course where you can bring your bike along and learn all about bike mechanics, how to service your bike and the simple techniques that can save you from having to walk your bike all the way back when you are out on the Trail. This course only occurs periodically, please see the Calendar of Events for this course. Cost: TBA
- Extensive, practical guideline manuals/checklists for maintenance volunteers and volunteer guides.
- Board members, staff and current volunteers of the MBTF willingly share their knowledge and expertise with new volunteers.
- Personal accident insurance is held by the Department of Parks and Wildlife for all registered volunteers.
- Information sessions for Community Events volunteers.
Volunteer rewards and benefits:
The Department of Parks and Wildlife and the Munda Biddi Trail Foundation recognise, acknowledge and reward the contributions made by their volunteers.
To be eligible for any rewards, volunteers must be registered with the Department of Parks and Wildlife and must submit their volunteer timesheet to the Volunteer Coordinator at the end of each quarter.
MBTF volunteer rewards are sponsored by Mountain Designs.
- 50 hours - A Munda Biddi cap or water bottle.
- 100 hours - A 'Cycling in Western Australia' book, and a 15% discount at Mountain Designs for 12 months.
- 200 hours - A 50% gift voucher from Mountain Designs and 25% discount with you next MBTF purchase.
- 300 hours - A Munda Biddi polo shirt and 20% discount at Mountain Designs for 12 months.
- 500 hours - A polartec jacket from Mountain Designs/Munda Biddi and 30% discount at Mountain Designs for 12 months.
Department of Parks and Wildlife volunteer rewards
- 0 hours - Subscription to the Communitiy Involvement Unit (CIU) newsletter.
- 20 hours - Thank you letter from Director General, plus 20 % discount voucher at Parks and Wildlife outlets.
- 50 hours - Parks and Wildlife Volunteer park pass*.
- 150 hours - Limited edition WA native species lapel badge.
- 300 hours - $30 the Parks and Wildlife voucher.
- 500 hours- Volunteer Pass* plus a Landscope subscription.
*The Department of Parks and Wildlife Volunteer Pass provides free entry for one vehicle and passengers into any WA National Park for 12 months from stamped date of issue.
All rewards are distributed to volunteers, some sent out quarterly and some annually, after the auditing requirements have been met.
The rewards are given for hours accumulated within one financial year.