Walpole to Denmark
Walpole-Booner Mundak:52km, Booner Mundak-Nornalup Rd:14km, Nornalup Rd-Jinung Beigabup:40km, Jinung Beigabup-Denmark:42km | Distance: 148.8km
Along The Trail
This section of the Trail is full of contrasts. The first part takes cyclists past some amazing tingle and karri trees, and the ride along the Frankland River near Monastery Landing and Sappers Bridge is exceptional if a bit challenging. The last section from Jinung hut is spectacular as well; the hut is under the karri trees, the ride goes past Greens Pool and Waterfall Beach and along the Coast, with really spectacular views.
Find out more in Along the Trail.
- Sappers Bridge - a log bridge re-built in October 1982 by the 22nd Construction Squadron following flood damage in January 1982.
- The world famous Tree Top Walk, a series of sixty-metre walkways which take walkers over a deep, red tingle gully into the tops of the trees to a height of 40 metres above the forest floor (to get there requires a detour from the trail)
- The Wilson Inlet, over 20km long, is a haven for many water birds including the black swan.
- Views over the stunning Walpole and Nornalup Inlets is accessed by taking The Knoll scenic drive just east of Walpole.
- The Walpole-Nornalup National park offer several tranquil picnic spots including Circular Pool on the Frankland River.
- The Valley of the Giants including the famous Tree Top Walk and the Ancient Empire.
- Nornalup, a very small town along the South Coast highway 10km east of Walpole, offers accommodation and canoe hire on the banks of the Frankland River.
- Various wineries, arts and craft centres, cosy cafés, exhibitions, walk trails and whale watching in and near Denmark.
Walpole is 414km south-east of Perth. It is a drive of approx. four hours and 45 minutes from Perth, via the Kwinana Freeway, Forrest Highway, Old Coast Rd and the South West Highway.
TransWA operate services daily from Perth to Walpole and Denmark.
Denmark is 66km from Walpole along the South Coast Highway. Denmark can also be reached from Perth via Albany Highway via Albany or via Mt Barker.
Some accommodation providers will transfer you to the Track, provided you are staying with them.
Located an hour and a half’s drive from Albany in the east and Pemberton in the west, Walpole is an ideal place to base yourself to explore the region and for cycling on the Munda Biddi Trail. The tiny town, which has a population of about 500, is located in a rather picturesque region of Western Australia where the cool waters of the Southern Ocean meet the tall, majestic forests of the southwest.
Denmark is a popular tourist town which has a relaxed village atmosphere, romantic timber milling history and incredible coastal scenery. Just 45 minutes drive west of Albany on the southern coast, Denmark stands on the shores of the spectacular Wilson Inlet and boasts glorious swimming, surfing and fishing beaches.
Maps and Guides
Department of Parks and Wildlife Office/s
East of Dog Road south to the west of Hay River
Contact: Chris Goodsell (Frankland.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Telephone: (08) 9840 0400
Opening times: 8am - 4.30pm, Monday to Friday
South Coast Highway
WALPOLE WA 6398